Microsoft has resolved a known issue that prevents managed devices from receiving Patch Tuesday, May 20, Windows security updates.
"While checking for updates within Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager and managed devices connected to these servers, this month's security updates" may not be available or offered, "he explained Microsoft in the Windows Health Dashboard.
"This can also affect Security Only and Internet Explorer Cumulative Rollups on platforms that receive these types of updates."
The known issue affected both client and server platforms, from Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 to the latest versions, Windows 10 20H2 and Windows Server 20H2.
The list of cumulative Windows updates that are excluded from this known issue includes the following:
- KB5003173 (Windows 10 / Server, version 20H2 / 2004)
- KB5003169 (Windows 10 / Server, version 1909)
- KB5003171 (Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019)
- KB5003174 (Windows 10, version 1803)
- KB5003197 (Windows 10, version 1607 and Windows Server 2016)
- KB5003172 (Windows 10, version 1507)
- KB5003209 (Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2)
- KB5003208 (Windows Server 2012)
- KB5003233 (Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
- KB5003210 (Windows Server 2008 SP2)
Security updates may be delayed in some areas
Microsoft has resolved the known issue on the service side, and updates should start circulating on devices that are affected in managed environments.
"If you start a synchronization cycle and you still do not receive the updates, please check back soon," Microsoft added. "There may be a slight delay as it spreads to all servers in all regions."
During Patch Tuesday this month, Microsoft fixed 55 vulnerabilities, four classified as critical, 50 as significant and one as moderate, and three zero-day vulnerabilities that were made public but did not appear to have been used in attacks.
These are the three vulnerabilities that Microsoft said were made public but were not used by hackers before the release of the May 2021 security updates:
Yesterday, along with cumulative security fix updates for Windows 10 2004 and 20H2, Microsoft also started releasing new cumulative updates for all supported versions of Windows.
Source of information: bleepingcomputer.com