A member of the infamous hacking group The Dark Overlord (TDO) has pleaded guilty to blackmailing dozens of companies around the world.
Nathan Francis Wyatt, a 39-year-old UK national, was sentenced to five years in prison and ordered to pay $ 1.467.048 in compensation to the victims.
If the victims did not pay, the intruders sold their data to hacking forums, leaked it to Internet or informed them journalists for breach in order to create a negative reputation in the company that has been breached.
Wyatt was arrested in 2017 in the United Kingdom and extradited on USA in December 2019 to be tried.
Most of the other members of The Dark Overlord remain free.
In May 2018, Serbian authorities arrested a 39-year-old man in Belgrade on charges of being one of the members of TDO. However, it is not clear how he joined the group as authorities only the man's initials (SS) and year of birth (1980) were shared, which made it more difficult to follow up on his case.
The Dark Overlord has a long and vast history of hacking. The group has been linked to the following violations:
- Breached three healthcare organizations and sold 651.894 patient records to Dark Web
- Sold over 9,3 million patient records from an anonymous health insurance provider
- Violates and blackmails the services of the East and Central Indiana Cancer Center
- Hack it Netflix and leaked episodes from season 5 of "Orange Is The New Black"
- Violated ABC and leaked episodes from the TV show "Steve Harvey's Funderdome"
- Hacked Larson Studios, Inc., one of its sound production studios Hollywood and stole a large collection of television episodes emissions which had not been released to the public
- Violated HE Parts International Morgan
- Hack Line 204
- Infringed Austin Manual Therapy Associates
- Violate SMART ("Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Therapy")
- Violated the Hand Rehabilitation Specialists
- Hack Gorilla Glue
- Violated and leaked data from many companies, such as Pre-Con Products, GS Polymers, PcWorks, International Textiles & Apparel and UniQoptic
- Violated Caribbean Island Properties, a real estate company
- Breached Prime Staff Inc., an HR company
- Violated Channel Ship Services, a shipping company
- It violated Sterling National Financial Group, an insurance company