According to the New York Treasury Department, information such as social security numbers, bank account numbers, driver's licenses and other records were exposed from October 2014 to May 2019, due to a vulnerability on the First American website.
According to the indictment, the team security of First American discovered the vulnerability in December 2018, performing a simulated attack known as the "penetration test". However, when the company was informed of the vulnerability, it ignored the group's advice.
The regulator considers each case of exposed personal information as a separate breach, so penalties can cost the company dearly, as it could pay up to $ 1.000 to each customer.
First American said on May 24, 2019, that it had fixed the vulnerability, following the posting of the security expert on cyberspace, Brian Krebs, that 885 million files dating back to 2003 had been exposed. The company's share price fell 6,3% the next day.
However, the company said on Wednesday that it "strongly disagrees" with the accusations.
The California-based company said that according to its research, it identified only a small number of customers, whose data had leaked without their permission, but did not discover any other malicious activity.
"We intend to vigorously defend ourselves from the irrational accusations of the ministry," the company said.
The Financial Services Department said First American's investigation found that more than 350.000 documents had been breached between June 2018 and May 2019 by automated software.bots"Or"scraper".
First American has been accused of violating six provisions of the Cyber Security Regulation, which went into effect in March 2017. The regulation requires banks and insurance companies licensed in New York to have "strong" cyber security programs. and monitor them regularly.
The hearing is scheduled for October 26.