A hacking team from Saudi Arabia violated them en masse his social media accounts NFL (National Football League) and 15 groups involved in it. It is said that behind the mass attack the hacking team is hiding OurMine.
Violations have taken place in recent days and have been confirmed by many sources.
Which social media accounts were violated?
- NFL (Twitter)
- Arizona Cardinals (Twitter)
- Buffalo Bills (Instagram and Facebook)
- Chicago Bears (Twitter)
- Cleveland Browns (Twitter)
- Dallas Cowboys (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
- Denver Broncos (Twitter)
- Green Bay Packers (Twitter)
- Houston Texans (Twitter)
- Indianapolis Colts (Twitter)
- Kansas City Chiefs (Twitter)
- New York Giants (Twitter)
- Minnesota Vikings (Instagram)
- Philadelphia Eagles (Twitter)
- San Francisco 49ers (Twitter)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Twitter)
We do not yet know how social media accounts were violated. However, many of the tweets that ourMine hackers made about the hacked accounts come from Khoros.
Khoros is an internet site service used by digital marketing and PR professionals for managing social media accounts and engagement calculation. It is usually linked to a social media account as a third party application.
However, according to a Khoros spokesman, the platform itself has not admitted any violations.
“We are helping a Khoros client manage an incident related to it unauthorized access to employee social media accounts"The platform said. He did not give the name of the client, but probably the NFL. "We are committed to the safety of our customers and work with them to help them resolve the situation."
OurMine: Known for account violations on social media
The violations the accounts and their connection to OurMine did not surprise the researchers security. This particular hacking team is known for its ability to it violates accounts famous people and CEOs like Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey or Sundar Pichai.
The team has been active since 2016. It is believed to consist of teenagers hackers of Saudi Arabia. The team has been very popular over the last two years. In September 2017, hackers had stolen and leaked archives from the inside servers of the video hosting service Vevo.
The NFL and its teams are on the list of celebrities Companies and executives whose social media accounts have been hacked by OurMine hackers.
The list of victims includes:
- BuzzFeed (website violation)
- TechCrunch (website violation)
- Variety (website violation)
- BBC (Twitter)
- Play Station Network (Twitter)
- Netflix (Twitter)
- Marvel Studios (Twitter)
- WWE (Twitter)
- Game of Thrones (Twitter)
- FC Barcelona (Twitter)
- Real Madrid (Twitter and YouTube)
- CNN (Facebook)
- New York Times (Twitter)
- WikiLeaks (DNS hijacking, website breach)
- Mark Zuckerberg (Pinterest and Twitter)
- Dick Costolo (Pinterest and Twitter)
- Jack Dorsey (Vine and Twitter)
- Sundar Pichai (Quora and Twitter)
- John Hanke (Quora and Twitter)
- Zach Klein (Quora and Twitter)
- This Williams (Twitter)
- Marissa Mayer (Twitter)
- Jimmy Wales (Twitter)
- Daniel Ek (Twitter)
- Brendan Iribe (Twitter)
- Adam Mosseri (Twitter)
- Deadmau5 (Twitter)
- David Guetta (Twitter)
- Channing Tatum (Twitter)
- Drake (Twitter)
The list includes many other celebrities, such as Lana Del Rey, Kylie Jenner and many YouTube stars.
OurMine hackers themselves have said they are using it simple methods to access their victims' social media accounts.
Most of the time they use codes found in databases with credentials that have been violated. If account holders continue to use the same passwords and do not protect accounts with two-factor authentication, hackers can gain access.