The three security companies created the «App Defense Alliance». According to Google, companies will incorporate it Google Play Protect on their own scanners and will add an extra layer protection. So, everyone applications that are posted to the Play Store will be carefully reviewed before final approval.
What more than Google Play Protect will the new solution offer?
Google Play Protect monitors apps after they're released on the Play Store. That is, it scans to detect malware that already exists in the app store and notifies if it finds something strange. In contrast, the App Defense Alliance scans applications before they are published to the Play Store. This means that even an application that is considered malicious will not be released. Therefore, there is no way to download it user and be in danger.
Google's problems with malware
Over the past few months more than 2.000 fake apps have been found on the Google Play Store. This showed one research of the University of Sydney and Data61-CSIRO. In most cases, malicious applications were copies of popular gamessuch as Temple Run, Free Flow and Hill Climb Racing. The applications were malicious software or they were asking access in large numbers data, that they didn't need.
Researchers urge users to do some controls before deciding to download an application:
- Look for which platforms and countries this application has been officially released.
- Check if the app is also available for Android and for iOS. Sometimes criminals only publish fake versions of popular apps on one platform.
- Read it carefully description of the application. Before downloading the app, review the available ones information for developers, release date, number of downloads, and of course other users' comments. User feedback is always a useful source of information.
- Prefer them official app stores. The Play Store may have been found with many malicious apps, but it is more reliable than any unofficial store or online.
- Check them thoroughly information requested the application. Many times, a large amount of data is required without being necessary for the application to function.
- Make regulars updates in the operating system and remove apps you don't use often.
In recent months, Google has removed many malicious apps from the Play Store. Hopefully, collaboration with security companies and pre-release testing on the Play Store will alleviate the problem.
How useful was this post?
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.