The recent data breach of app users WhatsApp brought the need for greater protection. Popular messaging applications, such as WhatsApp, are a frequent target hackers. Even applications with fewer users are vulnerable but perhaps to a lesser degree.
Technically, none application messaging is not 100% secure. The data users pass through corporate networks of both application and telecommunication networks. Therefore, hackers have various opportunities to gain access in the data.
2020 data output is expected to be at the same level as 2019. Over 70% of digital data is expected to be generated by private users and the remaining 30% by businesses. More than a third of the data is expected to be hosted in the cloud. All this means they are needed strong security protocols at all levels, at Appliances and platforms.
The Ransomware is a malware that penetrates the system and encrypts important data, so that owners do not have access. Usually, ransomware is used to attack businesses. After encrypting them files, hackers are demanding ransom by the victims in order to give back the records.
The malware, on the other hand, is a software that damages files and / or computer systems. Many times, hackers present malware as a warning for malware to deceive them users and persuade them to download software protection, referred to in the "warning" message. They actually download the malware.
On Phishing campaigns, hackers send emails to the victims, representing a credible entity. The goal is collection of sensitive data (eg banking or personal information). Phishing attack can also be a pop-up alert to browser, a link, or a phone call from someone claiming to be a company executive or whatever.
Finally, the DoS attacks essentially do not allow access to websites and websites.
However, the recent incident with WhatsApp was a different case. The data leak has affected certain users (mainly journalists and activists). This attack was aimed at her espionage. These data breaches require strong security measures at state level.
Some countries, such as South Korea, Japan and China, have imposed sanctions on companies that cannot protect their users' data. In addition, the United States and China prosecute the hackers responsible for violations data. However so far, no company, targeting me spyware specific citizens, has not received sanctions. This was also the case with the WhatsApp application. The victims' information leaked through one spyware, called Pegasus and came from the Israeli company NSO Group.
The government of India has started taking some measures to protect citizens' rights and their digital data. The new data protection bill, submitted by the government, resulted in one a committee of ten members, who will be responsible for safety of personal data and will make the necessary adjustments. This is an important step.
India's bill states that "The protection of users' privacy is a fundamental right of every citizen". In addition, the government is preparing to impose sanctions on companies that do not effectively protect the data of Indian citizens.
After the WhatsApp data breach, more and more countries are realizing that the risk is high. Hackers are constantly developing new methods of data breach. It is not enough for companies and organizations to take security measures. The biggest lesson we've learned from this last violation is that there has to be action at state level.