Saturday, January 23, 06:20
Home security Unrelated Ethereum Clients endanger the entire network

Unrelated Ethereum Clients endanger the entire network

EthereumAccording to a survey by SRLabs, Ethereum clients, who have not received security updates, threaten all Ethereum network.

Researchers at the SRLabs have published a data-based report from ethernodes.org. According to the report, a large number of nodes, using the popular clients Parity and Geth, has not received any updates. Investigators they found that Ethereum clients and their users were unprotected for a long time.

There are vulnerabilities to many clients, which have not yet been corrected and endangering the blockchain ecosystem. A hacker who would be able to control the 51% of computing power on the Ethereum network could make a great deal of damage to the ecosystem. The hacker who will be able to attack many nodes will be able to control the 51% of the network even more easily.

For this reason, vulnerabilities that allow denial-of-service attacks, are very critical in cryptocurrency networks. Hackers could use these vulnerabilities to reduce the amount of computing power they needed to make an attack that would control 51% of the network.

A few months ago, the researchers of the SRLabs identified a vulnerability in the Parity client.

"According to the data we have collected, only two thirds of the nodes have been corrected so far. "Shortly after reporting this vulnerability, Parity issued a security alert urging users to make updates," the report said.

However, even after the release of the update, 40% of the nodes remained unprotected. Another update was released in March. 70% received the update while remaining 30% remained exposed.

Researchers have reported that Parity Ethereum has an automated information process, but it is quite complex.

Things are worse for Geth client, as he does not have this auto-update feature. Geth clients had not received security updates for a long time.

Lack of key patches on Ethereum clients can cause great damage as it endangers the entire Ethereum network.

LEAVE ANSWER

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Absent Mia
Absent Miahttps://www.secnews.gr
Being your self, in a world that constantly tries to change you, is your greatest achievement

LIVE NEWS

Intel CPUs Review: Core i7-10700 vs Core i7-10700K!

Over the years, the Intel series of processors (CPUs) introduced the series of overclocking models "K" and more recently the series ...

The DeLorean can return as an electric car

The DMC DeLorean has been out of production for almost 40 years, but it looks like the iconic vehicle will return as an electric car.

Windows RDP servers are used to support DDoS

Cybercrime gangs are abusing Windows Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) systems to reinforce the unwanted ...

SEPA: He refused to pay a ransom and thousands of files were leaked

Thousands of stolen files of the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) have been published by hackers, after the organization refused to pay the ransom ...

Fines at Valve, Capcom and Zenimax for geo-exclusion of games

Following a European Commission investigation, a group of video game publishers was fined € 7,8 million following allegations of geo-exclusion practices. In...

Bitcoin helps the middle class survive the pandemic

Regulators still imply that Bitcoin is just a tool for criminals, but it seems that for the middle class ...

Lightworks 2021.1 for Linux, Mac and Windows has been released

Lightworks Professional Multi-Platform Video Editing Software received the first major update to Lightworks 2021.1 for Windows, Linux and Mac.

Netflix: Watch the 9 best Anime movies of all time

One of the good things about the pandemic was that many people were introduced to the anime world. And the issue with anime is ...

CHwapi: Windows BitLocker "hit" the Belgian hospital!

The CHwapi hospital in Belgium was attacked by a cyber attack on January 17, with hackers claiming to have encrypted 40 servers and 100 ...

CPU / GPU Lotteries: Newegg sells the few on the market

Hardware shortages are not uncommon, but the pandemic has worsened the situation. The whole planet is closed to ...